My first dress from a vintage pattern: Butterick B4790 Pattern review

As I posted previously, on a recent Fabricland excursion I was thrilled at the discovery of beautiful vintage reissue Butterick patterns. I have made up my first, and inevitably went for the simplest to ease myself in: B4790. 

I went for the famous 'walk away' dress and am pretty chuffed wit the outcome. Just look at the enormous full circle skirt! I bought 3 meters of 150cm wide cotton and had just about enough with a little to spare. I also bought and used a colossal 9 meters of navy cotton bias binding, and used every scrap :). Total spend: £11.50. Not bad, I am SO excited for the weather to warm up a bit as I will be swooshing this skirt around all summer.
As tradition states, the dress was incredibly quick and simple to make. I had to make a size 10(UK) on the waist, but take up the shoulders slightly as the neck was uncomfortably large and loose. I also decided to bias bind the hem as sewing a circle hem that enormous really did not appeal to me.
Incredibly, the dress is made in just 3 pieces and ends up looking like this:
Just a front shift pieces, a back bodice and a skirt (attached to the back bodice which wraps around to the front of the dress) It really was incredibly easy, I am recommending it to my friends who is learning to sew for a really satisfying summer make with maximum impact thanks to the swooshy skirt!
And here is one final swoosh to finish off :)
I hope this review was helpful, I would really recommend this pattern with the only modification being the enormous neckline and subsequent raising of the shoulders, but this could just be because I am a pear shape and am prone to this problem in most clothes. Happy sewing

The only question now is, which vintage pattern to try next...?

Comments