An Unseasonal Summer- Simplicity 1755 in Vintage Cotton

I have fallen in love. Not just with my lovely bf (naturally) but with a new pattern. Leanne Marshall's design for Simplicity, 1755 was love at first sight for me and it did not disappoint.  

I loved the use of lace on the pattern envelope and it came with a petite option which was fab for me as I always need to shorten dresses in the waist as I am squat through the middle.

As far as sizing was concerned I found this perfectly true to size when cut in a petite size 8, which is unusual for me as I usually have to adjust the shoulders and neckline of most garments I sew.



Misses' & Miss petite dress has pleated skirt, tie belt and buttoned neck slit opening with collar. Below knee length A has halter top and is made in lace; knee length B has short raglan sleeves. 

I was inspired by two lovely creations before embarking on this dress, the first from Dixie at Dixie DIY:

And the second inspiration came from Nicole at The Travelling Seamstress
http://sewingbynalcantara.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/simplicity-1755.html

Make sure you check out both of their lovely versions!

This pattern sat in my stash for about 6 months after buying it, until Christmas when I was given some beautiful vintage hexagon print cotton from my mum which I felt was perfect for this dress. I made myself proud with my attention to detail, as I created little thread loops for button holes, what felt like hundreds of tiny pleats across the bodice and skirt, inserted an invisible zipper with my new favourite toy (my invisible zipper foot!) and also lined the bodice. Overall I am really pleased with the finish on this garment and it felt wonderful to wear in the unseasonal 19 degree mini 'heat-wave' we enjoyed this Sunday in Richmond Park.

Dress front- love this vintage print!

Bust pleat detail and split

Collar and little button loop

I'm sorry, but check out that awesome pattern matching on the centre front! May Martin would be proud... :)

Side

Back with some attempt at pattern matching!
Who doesn't love a bow?

Close up of attempted pattern matching on centre back

Contrasting waistband

Front view

And now for some lovely lake shots in Richmond Park, courtesy of my lovely friend Z mentioned last time (totes bff obvs)









Here are some lovely pics of our lovely sunny Sunday picnic by the lake

Beautiful besties

Tanned (jealous? Moi?)

Le Lake

Welcome to the 'How-Picturesque-Are-We?' competition....

Sunny pubbing 

Erm, wrong way...

So that's it for Simplicity 1755 in the sunshine. I really am proud of this finished garment and would highly recommend this pattern to anyone with a little sewing experience as you can get a really lovely professional finish.

Thanks for reading and happy sewing x x x

Comments