Handmade Valentines Day Dress: Inspired by roses, hearts and knitted owls

I found this pretty stretch cotton jersey in Fabricland a while back, and fell in love with its kitsch charm instantly, buying my standard 2m. I made it into a very unsuccessful tea dress, unsuccessful because the lightweight stretch of the jersey did not sit well with my poor zip insertion and it looked wrong in all ways. 
So I cut it up and turned in into New Look 6093 and am pretty pleased with the result...

Because of the stretch in the jersey and the bodice having no waist band or seam as such I left out the zip and it slips nicely over my head, with a flattering cut. The pattern claims to be 'vintage style' but I am not sold on that idea, so I will let you be the judge of that.

It was at the beginning of February I commenced this project and it reminded me of Valentines and so I added some twee heart shaped buttons to the bodice (free with Molly Makes) and wore it with pride on the 14th. A good new pattern to give a go if you have 2meters of jersey without a purpose and fancy a new frock sans zipper. 

Watch this space for more jersey creations, I think I have caught the bug and have bookmarked overlockers on the Argos website. Sewing geek, indeed.



And finally, if you are interested, here is my valentine this year. A knitted owl= perfect.


Comments