New Look 6171. Two dresses, one pattern


Dipping into teens dress patterns again. This is so far the first, and only time I have sewn using a kids pattern but it is so simple and cute for work I could not help but make two more. The pattern I chose once again was New Look 6171, view A. I think it would fit anyone up to a size UK 12. Its great for work as I can throw it on in the wee hours of the morning and not have to fuss with zips, buttons etc.
Read on for the next two incarnations of this pattern, and click here for its original incarnation.
The first is a blue birdie print cotton which I think has a slightly Japanese feel to it, not sure why
Firstly, some inspiration for blue birdie dresses...
Source: http://wanelo.com/p/1748653/pure-energy-juniors-plus-size-elbow-sleeve-shirt-dress-blue-cream

And now my blue birdie shirt dress:
Apologies for the miserable face :) It was FREEZZINNGGG


And a close up of the collar, sleeve and of course the gorgeous birdie print, featuring lovely springy cherry blossom, delicious! I enlarged the collar slightly on this version too, which you may notice. Looks slightly too 70s for me to be entirely comfortable with, but hey ho :)

As you can probably tell, I left out the elasticated waist on both this and the original red dress. I decided to try a version with the elastic, and fancied a slightly boden-esque dress with large, bright flowers in a crispy lovely cotton. The result reminds me somewhat of Kirsty Allsop's wardrobe, which frankly cannot be a bad thing.
First off, some Kirsty/Boden inspired shirt dress inspo: 



And now here is my very own flowery Kirsty/Boden style shirt dress, Ta dah!
Source: Boden.com

Smiling now...

Again, a close up of the pattern and neckline with the smaller, original collar. I also added some of my freebie Mollie Makes buttons to the wrap over neckline, which I quite like for some added pizazz!

Not sure if I like the elasticated waist, may be rather unnecessary as I like the loose fit of the shirt dress before. I guess the proof of which I prefer will come from which dress I wear most often. They have already began creeping from my work wardrobe and into my weekend one, which can't be a bad sign! 




Comments