A tale of summer dresses past: three years of handmade summer frocks (and a skirt...)

Woohoo! The sun has begun its gradual return, and so, I have decided to gather up my summer dresses I have made over the past 3 years and see which are still up scratch, and which need repairs, before the weather hots up. It appears that summer dresses are an obsession of mine and I have definitely made more of them than anything else since beginning my dressmaking adventure (eight frocks plus one skirt in this post, oops!). I think this is because they are reasonably simple compared to more tailored projects, and use such pretty, brightly printed cotton. Which is your favourite? I'm still pondering mine...

Frock 1: Summer 2012: New Look 6980 in Amy Butler cotton. Boyfriends favourite

I chose a spotted Amy Butler fabric in complimenting colours, all in the John Lewis sale,of course.

Giant patch pockets, yum!

Elasticated waist detail

Frock 2: Summer 2013: New Look 6980 in fruity printed cotton (Fabricland) 

Contrasting gingham skinny straps, made using bias binding


Giant patch pockets strike again!

Frock 3: Summer 2010: New Look 6803 in Ikea Rosali fabric
This dress is awesome because I can camouflage like a chameleon on my bedsheets. Nice.

 Button details on shoulder

Vintage lace trim on the hemline, needs replacing or repairing before further wear and tear.


 Frock 4: Summer 2012: New Look 6096 in shoe print cotton

Basically, I foudn this adorable cotton and wanted to make something pretty from it.

Look, shoes! This dress is super comfy thanks to the elasticated back.

Contrasting polka dot straps

Frock 5: Summer 2011: New Look 6803 in Amy Butler print cotton

Button detail shoulder

Just look at this divine blooms. This beautiful print always brings in a compliment.


Frock 6: Summer 2012: New Look 6980 in Amy Butler print cotton

 I chose a super simple dress shape as this fabric is pretty overwhelming 

I kind of want to swan around in this at a garden party. I made a maxi for me and my friend last summer so we could be ginger together and feel like Florence and the Machine. Cos we are cool, honest :)

Skirt 1: Summer 2012: Self drafted skirt in Amy Butler print cotton

Love this simple pleated skirt but for some reason it has stretched or I have shrunk and it now needs to be taken in before further wear.

Tidy pleats, love to steam :)


Frock 7: Summer 2012: New Look 6068 in floral print cotton
This is an old favourite pattern of mine. Love this Cath Kidston style print from Fabricland and its vibrant red colour, not one to be ignored! I adapted the pattern to include an elastic waistband for a little extra shape.


Frock 8: Summer 2012: New look 6068 in Ikea floral print
I could not resist this 60s style fabric and think it goes well with a simple A line frock and peter pan collar. Here I am matching with some lanterns on the South Bank. Sunny :)


Hope you liked having a nose through my summer wardrobe, created 2010-2013. Its been useful seeing what needs to be fixed/altered before summer arrives. Which was your favourite? Have you used these patterns with similar results? I would love to hear! :)

Comments

  1. Hello
    Would you mind telling me if the Rosali fabric is stiff at all? I'm worried it's going to be too much like quilting cotton for a dress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment