Sewing Style Icon: Carrie Bradshaw

Ok, so, I know she is not a real per say, however I have lusted after her wardrobe since I first watched Sex and the City many, many years ago when I was far too young to be watching. Mainly, from browsing on-line I have discovered that my passion for Carries wardrobe is mainly series one specific. I actually adore her clothes throughout but the 90's vibe to series one makes it just lovely to watch. Here is some sewing inspiration...

Ok so the first, tutus. A Carrie classic from the title credits of episode one, I would really like to try my hand at tutu making, although to make it rather more wearable I think I will go for more of a circle skirt in a pink chiffon. I bought some pink gingham chiffon from Walthamstow a while ago, perhaps it will need to be employed




Simplicity 2286 would be a good pattern for a short tutu, opening credits style.

Burda 7070 may be a better option for a longer, floaty version, ballerina style skirt, which I am keen on the idea of myself for summer. Butterick 5787 is also nice pattern for a super simple wrap around floaty ballerina tutu style skirt.

Second idea: a cape. Yes or no for summer? Is this wrong, because Carrie looks friggin adorable and I want one for posy flouncing around.


New look 6073 seems a simple option, would black be too wintery?

Next a series 6 tee shirt, loving the flower detail on the front. I am planning some stripe tee shirts for spring/summer, not sure how simple putting a massive flower on the front would be but I have have to find out.


For my tshirts I am using this truly hideously photographed pattern. The t shirt and cardigan both turn out really nicely though, I promise! 

This next pic is just for the lovelyness of the styling, but as it goes I will be trying to make some pretty vest tops for the warm weather, perhaps layering up with strings and strings of pearls!


Loving this top pattern having used it for some blouses.


Ok, I have not worn a belly top since 1998 and this will never be happenings, but awesome Carrie 90's inspo or what?!



A beautiful white lacy dress has been on my to sew list for so long, and I will get round to it this summer, I swears it. There is a Butterick pattern sale on so I may treat myself to a new pattern to motivate myself putting needle to fabric. And with a parasol, no?


Butterick 4443 looks pretty sweet to me, I like the A-line skirt and fitted bodice, especially with the scoop neck.

New Look 6208 looks pretty  lovely too, look at the pretty bow back!


This pattern could also be pretty awesome in polka dots , oolala in gay Paris!



Lastly, suddenly realising that asymmetric  one shouldered-ness is appealing to me in a whole new way. Roll on 90's fever, I have been hit hard. And with a corsage? Oh oui!


A simple one shouldered pattern New Look 6912, but jeez look at that styling! Imagine in a simple, pretty plain, without the faux leather and tacky prints. Some lovely versions of this pattern can be seen on-line.



Comments