The Great British Sewing Bee- Episode one review and favourite garments!

This week me and my mum had some time off work so we met at Paddington to embark on a journey to a far western foreign land, aka, Cardiff. We visited family and had a lovely time, evening managing to squeeze in a day trip to Bristol (a city I now love, so many beautiful buildings, seen in bright sunshine which helps).
However, me and the mother had just one random request for our patient and obliging hosts. Can you guess..?
Tuesday night at eight we asked for control of the tellybox to tune in to the first episode of The Great British Sewing Bee. Now if I were to ask most people for this luxury I am pretty sure I would be faced with disapointment, but as I have mentioned we have an awesome family hugely understanding of me and my mothers sewing addiction, and indulged us, even apparently enjoying it themselves (phew!) But did it live up to our, admittedly, sky high expectations?
In short, yes. I love watching any crafty show on the telly but, as is obvious from my blog, working with fabric is my firm favourite and I really enjoyed looking at the beautiful creations (especially Tilly of tillyandthebuttons.com- she is so cute with amazing style, major wardrobe envy!).
My only complaint is really the sour comments from the judges. I know that it is their job to criticise, but some were really unfair, such as the pattern matching up on Stuarts day dress. Personally I thought it was beautiful, and it can't have been all that bad as it has made it into the book which accompanies the series (which is currently half price in Smiths, FYI, a bargain at £10 which I could not resist!) 
A good book, with I hope a good review coming soon!

Although most of their comments I am sure were fair, I could not help but consider the fact that this programme is, as with baking, supposed to be bringing the gentle art of needlework to the nation, and I for one, even as a semi-experienced sewer, would be put off from a craft in which a stern faced member of the WI picked apart my every hem and seam with a find tooth comb. But anyway, thats a teeny, tiny part of the show. Here are my favourite garments from episode one.


Firstly, Jane's car print miniskirt. This was just adorable and I already have some car print fabric in mind to recreate this myself on a shoestring :) Just love the combination of simple A-line with busy, almost tomboyish pattern. Want to parade around in this one :)


Image property of BBC

Second favourite, no surprises here, its Tilly's cute as a button Peter Pan collar blouse. Defo what I would have done given the challenge to alter a neckline, and I disagree with Patrick, its small and delicate size just adds to its charm, and it is far, far from 'mean'!


Image property of BBC

So which were your favourite garments from episode one? And did you enjoy it as much as I did!? I would love to find out :)

Comments

  1. Lovely blog! I can just about manage to sew on a button and do some easy crafts with my daughter but I find this show very inspiring. I ignore the judges ( they've been watching too much Simon Cowell!) My faves were Stuart's dress and Jane's car print skirt. I've been picking up some sewing tips on Tilly's site. You should share some of your sewing tips with us too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought Stuart's dress was beautiful too, love that lantern print. I really hope more people like you are inspired by this show and have a go at dressmaking, its the most satisfying thing to wear or to give clothes you have made yourself, fun to make clothes for kids too as they can be as fun as you like! Tilly's blog is awesome, perhaps I will do another tutorial sometime soon!

      Delete
  2. Rosa, Letting you know we are spreading the word about your lovely blog :)
    All the best
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I'd better keep up the posting!
      Rosa

      Delete
  3. Well I am back for installation 2..... loved reading the last one :-) Thought this time Tilly's pattern was lovely but her actual skills lacked a bit to put it together etc - no time management - I thought Ann's was a pretty idea but the fit really let her down this time. Stuarts was fabulous and he was sensible and chose a heavier fabric making it a little easier. Anyway dying to hear what you think :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming back! I think Tilly's was my favourite blouse this week just because it was a lovely design, but also for many of the others I was left wondering when would you wear them? Hers I could imagine with jeans or a skirt looking cute :)
    I have done a full review of episode 2 here if you are interested:

    http://fancyfrugality.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-great-british-sewing-bee-episode_11.html

    Are you a home sewer as well? I see from your blog you like your stamps I have always thought what fun that looks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment