The Great British Sewing Bee- Episode two review and favourite garments!

Yay! A second week of sewing on the telly. And not a dissatisfying week at that.
When the first challenge was given, I too was as scared as the contestrants must have felt. Men's trousers, are you for real? How many home sewers really attempt such a demanding task, I wonder? But anyway, choosing a favourite pair was challenging as they all looked pretty much... the same? Or at least very similar (we can see why I don't often make men's clothes, what an amateur! ). Is it just me that thinks this challenge may have been slipped in to satisfy Patrick Grant and his men's tailoring background? None the less If I were to choose one I would choose Mark's tweedie pair just becuase I like the fabric most of all. I have to say, the awesome graphics used to demonstrate pattern construction really proved their worth with this one as I have always been totally at odds with how to create a 'fly' to conceal a zip, and low and behold, now I know :) Perhaps a pair of tweedie trousers are on the horizon for me, but a flat fronted pair for myself may well be in order before a fly fronted pair for bf are created.
Image property of BBC
Second, the great pocket challenge, and to be honest I was not blown away by the challenge set. I think my favourite pockets were Lauren's cute gathered Liberty print ones, although the brief was not exactly awe inspiring. Who attempts to alter a high street garment within one hour, with a view to completely changing and listing its appearance? Not many sewers I know of. 
Image property of BBC


Stuarts tulip pockets were cute but I do not know many women who would actually wear them outside of the sewing room, so I think Lauren's are my favourite.
Image property of BBC

The final challenge would have been a real beast for me, sewing a silk blouse- the fabric nightmares are made of! I have to say, the boys blouses looked a little too costumey for my tastes, and Sandra's (although I think she is awesome) slightly too 80's, although with exquisite construction no doubt. Ann's blouse was sweet with the little covered buttons and a divine cerise silk, and Lauren had a cute peplum style, but I think Tilly's signature 'button back blouse' was my favourite, and from a woman's perspective, probably the most wearable and easy to style with either jeans or a pretty a line skirt. 
Image property of BBC
Image property of BBC
Such a shame she didn't get to finish or I highly doubt she would have left, Patrick seemed impressed with her red binding across the yoke. Mark seemed like such a nice, down to each sewer, it was a shame he had to leave (especially having won 'garment of the week' in the previous episode) but I am sure he is having fun creating historically accurate costumes for himself and his family :)

Comments