Simplicity 1693: Handmade Sweet 16th Birthday Gift

Way back in February I posted a fabric haul from a trip to merry Walthamstow, and I picked up these two lovely, excessively girly chiffons


I had made blousey plans for them which never really came to anything, and so at last at the end of April I put these fabrics to good use, the pandas creating a sweet 16th gift for my cousin F, and the second a similar gift for, ermmm, myself? Well, the fabric was there and I had to practise on something! I was inspiered by the high-low dip hem blouses I have seem lots of girls wearing, and wanted to make F something she would actually want to wear (obvs) and as she is into Topshop, H&M and other places cool kids shop I looked to them for my inspiration:



Source: www.boohoo.com
Source: www.aliexpress.com 

I chose Simplicity 1693 as I have used it twice before and was really pleased with the result. A simple and modern pattern, with not bad envelope photography, shock shock!



And so, here is F's gift! I chose view E but made the collar in the same fabric. Just look at the combo of cute pandas with cute Peter Pan collar! So sweet it'll make your teeth drop out.

Bound armholes 



French seams, natch.


Print close up


The finished article. I bound the dip hem which makes it look slightly sticky outy but this softens considerable after the first wash, and swings nicely around the body. Very flattering with skinny leg jeans or trousers. I have not yet heard if my cousin likes her blouse but I really hope she does, I think she will look tres bon in it, perhaps with some denim shorts tucked in or loose with skinny jeans, whatever these kids are doin these days. 


To practise I made myself a version of the blouse and have actually worn in quite a lot already. I chose a strong contrasting black binding to toughen up the sweet little birdy print and this is for sure one of my most comfortable makes. 


French seams again


Garment


Details details.


Blouse in action


Comments