New Look 6093: Completed project, alterations and pattern review

This is a lovely pattern. Vintage 'style' patterns are always a winner as original vintage patterns can be tricky to work with due to my very un-vintage proportions!
I decided to use this jersey covered in tiny little blue flowers from Fabricland. It cost £3.50 per meter and I bought 1.5m. It reminded me a little of an Orla Kiely print...

The reason I chose a jersey is that it requires no zips, buttons or other various fastenings and as this was a simple project with clear instructions.

As far as alterations are concerned, they were mainly seasonal! I had to take in the centre back seam (as usual) to allow for my curved back. I also decided to leave out the neckline facing to make the bodice less bulky. However, I originally made view A with the sleeves as it was a winter 2012 project made for wearing to work. However, although the fit was perfect and very flattering, I simply did not wear this dress often. I felt the combination of tiny navy and green flowers with a sensible, long sleeved work dress was just too grown up for me. So this summer I decided to take my scissors to the dress, hack off the sleeves and 3 inches off the hemline and transform it into a summery sun dress to be proud of!

Here is the transformation in pictures:

The winter, long sleeved version (too grown up for sure...)

And noowww..... The far better, shorter, sleeveless summer version! The jersey is super light weight and drapey and so perfect for the hot summer we are having this year.


But looks ok with a leather jacket for chilly mornings :)


 I give it 4/5 for its pretty vintage look and flattering fit, but I would not recommend it for pear shaped women as the side panels on the skirt may add extra width to your hips. However if you are fairly straight up and down this dress will creation the illusion of awesome curves.  Have you tried New Look 6093 before? I would love to see how successful your version was! Hope you like and thanks for reading!

Comments