Patchwork photo memory cushion: Christmas gift idea

Tis the season! Or so it was... In this awkward and lazy week between Christmas and new year I thought I'd share my favourite Christmas present I gave this year to my mum. 
I made a patchwork cushion inspired by my friend Katie at work who created a lovely quilt for her sisters wedding featuring photos from their childhood together. I was so excited I called my mum and mysteriously asked her to provide me with a bag of sentimental/memorable fabrics from the past and received  a veritable goodie bag of vintage cottons from the 60s-90s including scraps from my baby blankets and many of my mums handmade dresses and soft furnishings. It reminds me a bit of the rag bag bunting I posted previously, click here to see!

Here is my cushion front and back all laid out and ready to sew:



And here are hundreds of the finished product!




Can you spot my childhood drawing of my parents?









Resting atop my lovely decoupaged chair :) Read a tutorial here



That's it! I hope you like it as much as my mum did, who swiftly send a photo to all her girlfriends to show off that her face was now officially on a cushion (a worthy accolade indeed)

Thanks for reading, happy New Year and happy sewing x x x

Comments