Multiway dress-Burda 7352 pattern review

Wedding season is upon us once again! And my Pinterest is plagued by pastels and multiway bridesmaids dresses. 

I was interested in the construction of these dresses and watched many interesting tutorials on Youtube explaining the ins and outs of multiway construction. However, they all seemed to be just a little to revealing for me and so when I saw this Burda pattern I was excited to try to out for myself! I really like the idea of making just one dress and being able to customise it and wear it in lots of different ways, and liked that this one included a bust panel when most similar multiway dresses rely soley on the 'scarf wrap' element to cover up the boobs.
The pattern is essentially a tube for the bust, an a-line skirt and two long scarves joint under the bust. Simples!


Inspiration: wedding fever baby!

http://pinterest.com/pin/339881103101524872/


Pattern Description: 
Strapless dress with slightly flared skirt. Incorporated elastic guarantees wearing ease. Scarves, caught in the front seam, offer various styling possibilities.


Pattern Sizing: 6-18. I made an 8 and found the bust too short, which has literally never happened before to me and my small boobs.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? Yes I think so, although I don't like the idea of using contrasting scarves for the wrap around pieces. 

Were the instructions easy to follow? Burda instructions are notoriously tricky to follow however as this garment is basically a combination of rectangles the construction was not a problem at all, easy peasy.

Likes and dislikes?
 I really like just how simple the construction of this dress is but also the variety of ways you can style the dress makes it really interesting to me. However it is pretty dressy and I was hoping it could be styled for more casual occasions but I think that may be a no go...

Fabric Used: a beautiful pink cotton Lycra jersey blend which I adore. I would recommend using only stretch materials for this dress (as recommended) but ensure they have some strength and body to them with some Lycra or elastane. Otherwise you may end up revealing more than you intended.

Pattern alterations or design changes: I have yet to change this but the bust panel is way too short and I intend on buying an extra half metre of fabric and cutting a new bust piece which allows for greater coverage. This is very strange and hasn't happened to me before as I have hardly any boobs, so if your bosom is ample be warned before trying this pattern! I also left the zip out as it simply pops over my head (phew).

Styling ideas: with pink flowers in my hair of course! Perhaps with little heeled sandals and a contrasting clutch bag. I really don't do formal wear, so verging on as casual a side as possible.

Would you sew with it again? Possibly, should I ever require some bridesmaids!

Conclusion: A simple and easy way to achieve a wide range of formal looks, with the added advantage of no zips! Just be sure to adjust for a fuller bust. For tips on how to tie this dress look no further than the wonderful youtube! 

Here are a couple of ways I have tied my dress:



Strike a pose!


That's all for now. Thanks for reading and happy sewing! X o x o


Comments