Simplicity 1382 pattern review- heart cut-out and triangle cut-out dresses

Here is my little review of Simplicity 1382!



Inspiration:
I've been seeing lots of interesting backs to dresses recently, and I thought it might be fun to mix it up a little and combine a simple, classic 50s style summer dress at the front with an interesting cut out at the back. Being a girly girl through and through, I also really wants a heart, obvs.

Pattern Description: 
Girls' and girls' plus dresses; sleeveless with heart cutout and contrast skirt option or sleeveless or short sleeved with triangle cutout. Back of bodice buttons and back of skirt zips for easy dressing.

Pattern Sizing: this is technically a kids/teens pattern in ages 8-16, but upon reading the envelope the measurement go up to roughly a UK ladies size 12. I erred on the side of caution and made the largest size on the pattern but regretted this as it came out way  too big  for me and I spent more time adjusting the fit on this pattern than I did actually making it in the first place. The proportions are of course slightly different. To an adult ladies pattern but this was very easy to adjust for within the seam allowance.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? Yes it really did, I was especially pleased withy the finish on the beautiful heart at the back, so lovely and crisp!

Were the instructions easy to follow? As always, yes. Well done simplicity! 

Likes and dislikes?
 I think this is a lovely simple little dress with lovely details at the back. Upon sewing both the heart and the triangle back openings I think the heart is a much better fit. The triangle back did not sit quite right on me and needed lots of adjustments, although I do have a 'sway back' and often need to make adjustments in the lower back area.

Fabric Used: BEAUTIFUL Westminster Fabrics cottons, from the John Lewis sale and bought with my lovely end of year vouchers. 

Pattern alterations or design changes: As aforementioned I needed to adjust the triangle back as it did not sit flat and also of course had to make it far smaller, but that's my fault for being. Over cautious with my lovely fabric! 

Styling ideas: As with all my summer dresses, I like to wear them with simple brown leather sandals and a pretty canvas bag.

Would you sew with it again? Possibly, maybe the triangle back dress, with adjustments, could make a good party dress for autumn/winter.

Conclusion: Overall, a lovely pattern and I do think the heart cut out dress would make a lovely dress for a bridesmaid, made in a nice pink, yellow, green or blue satin. 




That's all for today, thanks for reading and happy sewing! 
X o x o

Comments