Summer Aztec Harem Style Trousers- Simplicity 1887 pattern review

Now although my standards are low when it comes to heat, most people would agree that it has been pretty stifling in London as of late. And hot weather brings with it a whole host of additional grooming demands, such as the shaving of legs, which I frankly can often really not be doing with! Thus the project of the summer trouser. I have been admiring many women looking cool in their loose fitting summer trews, they look far less try hard that a skirt or dress and I have found them really handy for work as I can move around freely without fear of revealing my knickers to the school, double win! 



I chose to use Simplicity 1887, which has been knocking around my stash for some time now and is perfect for a summer trouser.

Pattern Description: Misses' pants (trousers) in two lengths with cuff variations, shorts and skirt in two lengths. Simplicity sewing pattern. Designs by Karen Z- who is Karen Z?!?

Pattern Sizing: 8-16. I made view A in a size 8, but it came up far too baggy around the waist and needed some major taking in despite the elastic.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? Yes, I think so. I particularly like that the elasticated part of the waistband is only at the back and the front waistband is entirely flat.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they were well written. I always find Simplicity patterns really easy to follow, I think they are my favourite pattern brand as they generally end up as you expect them to from the pattern envelope. 

Likes and dislikes?
 The style is very current and similar to trousers I've seen in many highstreet shops recently. I also naturally like that the pattern has no requirement for a zip to be added and the construction is super simple. I really like the comfy fit and especially the pockets! I have had many compliments on these trousers from people at work as well as friends. Recently I wore these badboys for nearly 24 hours straight on a day out to Pride in London. We first went to the march, then onto a pub, then a club (yes, in the afternoon) then out to dinner, onto a gig and finally back home at about 5am. So I guess you could say they are also super durable :)

Fabric Used:  A cotton jersey in an 'Aztec' sort of printed pattern. I think that this pattern is best made in something drapey or light weight to maintain it's casual and comfy shape. The fabric cost £3.99 per metre from Fabric Land

Pattern alterations or design changes: I took these in massively at the waistline and used a far shorter length of elastic. getting the waist to fit correctly took a couple of attempts but I am happy with the fit now.

Would you sew with it again? Most definitely! I love these trousers and have already bought myself some lovely paisley blue viscose  to make a second pair as soon as I break up for summer. I would really like a couple of pairs to wear to work when I move to reception in September (4-5 year olds) something comfy, practical and washable I feel will become my work staples.

Conclusion: Love this pattern, I am also tempted to try out the shorties or maybe even the skirt.




That's all for today, hope you like my summer trews and are enjoying the heat this summer!

Thanks for reading and happy sewing x o x o

Comments