Midi skirt magic: My garment du jour!


I have a new fashion staple and it's the brightest thing in my wardrobe!
I recently returned from an amazeballz trip to NYC. Coming home was hugely disappointing and to soothe my sadness at no longer spending my days exploring Brooklyn with my love I have been indulging in much spring time stitchery. Whilst in a thrift shop in the big apple called Buffalo Exchange I bought the most incredibly HUGE (as in, super full and wide) midi skirt for the bargain price of $15, which is about a tenner, yeah! I wore it with low heeled sandals and a tight striped tee tucked in on my return home and felt so lovely and glamorous just wondering around Kensington with my cousin, and having lunch in Regents Park with my parents. This length of skirt is just perfect for this transitional time of year when you don't want to be wearing tights any more but it's just a little too cool still for a shorter skirt or dress with bare legs.

As soon as I decided to make myself one of these skirts I found lots of inspiration online. Women look amazing in these things. Instantly glamorous, you find yourself standing taller and swishing as you walk. They are particularly flattering on my pear shared figure, but I hate when people say what you should wear based on your 'body time' because all bodies are badass in their own way and no body should be told to look a certain way. But anyway! On with the inspiration:




Topshop.com


Merricksart.com





What a bunch of babes! The length seems to be to look grown up whilst avoiding any hint at dowdyness, which is not easy. 
So here is my version! I used an old faithful skirt pattern Cynthia Rowley for Simplicity 2215, but lengthened the skirt by a few inches (not many as I'm fairly short).
I used echinacea print cotton from John Lewis which I got in the sale with my lovely birthday vouchers from work. It's got such a lovely weight to it and swooshes in a most satisfying way. I've worn this skirt so many times since I made it just two weeks ago I thinks it's already earnt it's place in my wardrobe.
These photos were taken at the end of a very long day at work, so yeah soz for the teeny sleepy eyes!


That's all for today. I hope you've been inspired to make a lovely spring maxi skirt. I guarantee you sing regret it!
Thanks for reading and happy sewing x o x o


Comments