How to DIY Spring 2015 Trends


I'll start by saying, I would most definitely not consider myself to be trend obsessed. I feel everyone should dress as they feel happiest and most powerful and I resent the articles which emerge every couple of months telling women how to dress for their body shape or which items they MUST HAVE this season. That said, I do find it fun to look at new trends each season. I choose the trends I actually like and feel would work with my existing handmade wardrobe and work them into my sewing.

So here are my personal picks of the spring trends and how you can sew them yourself!

1. Culottes 
Shockingly, this is my first choice for spring trends!  For many years I hated culottes thanks to my years in the Brownies when I wore my terrible brown knee length culottes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk

But now my opinion has changed thanks to the awesome SS15 offerings. I'm tempted to make these in a floaty fabric like a viscose or poly crepe for the warm but not hot weather. Handy for work too as I won't risk flashing anyone when I bend over or there is a stiff breeze!

From left: nyti.ms/1qj55Th, Topshop.com, tibi.com


I intend on making these with my Simplicity 3688 by shortening the legs on the trousers. This is because I LOVE the fit of these trousers and they are super flattering even though they are wide legged and flowing. But NOT in brown, how did Simplicity know!?!

Some culotte inspo:


From left: blog.juliakostreva.com, wwd.com

2. Gingham 

This in one of my all time favourite fabrics. I love the retro feel, much like culottes. Nothing says summer like a gingham button down dress. I intend on making a gingham top and maybe even shorts now I've seen this adorable pair from DVF.

From left: style.com, 
dvf.com, wwd.com

The sort of blouse I want to make is something like these:
From left: babablingblog.com, flickr.com/photos/mysmallville


I have already made one gingham item for this spring, a sweet simple sundress with a collar. The gingham wasn't great quality so I lined it and it now hangs so nicely that I may just start lining more of my dresses! I used one of my favourite patterns Lisette for Simplicity 1419.




3. Yellow
I really have always loved this colour as it just instantly fills me with sunshine and happy thoughts. It was seen on the SS15 runways in every which way possible, from cheeky short shorts to floaty floral midi skirts to awesome silky turbans. My personal favourite way to wear this trend is the yellow coat. I am so craving a yellow coat to brighten up these seemingly unending bleak, early spring days, with their intermittent showers and cuttingly icy winds. 

 From left: style.com, pinterest.com/pin/507992032942780421/glamour.com, style.com
 


There are two patterns I am considering for this project and it would appear to me that to get a really good spring jacket pattern one needs to look away from the big commercial pattern companies (which do such a great job for skirts, dresses, trousers, shorts and more) to the smaller independent companies. I am torn between a yellow Sewaholic Robson trench and a yellow Collette Albion jacket. Oh what to choose!?!



Some yellow jacket inspo:

From left: camillestyles.com, rusticbeauty.tumblr.com, anthropologie.com


I also want to make a little yellow skirt, inspired by this lovely picture from Pinterest:

fabyoubliss.com


And a yellow skater style dress inspired by yet another Pinterest pic:
atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com

So yeah, a lot of yellow coming up!
4. Shirt dress
Trend number four is a garment that never goes out of style- a classic skirt dress. They tend to be on trend each season in a slightly different guise and this year I intend on perfecting my skills with both button bands and collar stands- go team stitching! I will be going for fun bright patterns for my shirt dresses and intend on making two, one above the knee and one mid calf.


From left: vogue.com, style.com, vogue.com, nowfashion.com


This is my super flattering shirt dress pattern- Lisette for Simplicity 2246 which I LOVE as it is so super flattering, and always gets compliments when I wear it to work. I intend on altering it to be sleeveless for the warm weather but otherwise intend on using the pattern without alterations.

Shirt dress inspo:
From left: etsy.com/uk/shop/LittlePiecesofHope, wgsn.com 

That's all for today. What are you favourite trends for SS15?! Thanks for reading and happy sewing x o x o





Comments