New Year's Eve/ Party DIY Outfits- Look Book


It's that party time of year once again. For me half the fun of going out is getting ready, particularly as getting ready involves sewing frocks and skirts adorned with sequins, glitter and tulle. A few years ago I wrote a post about party dresses which was quite popular so I've decided to do an update of sorts to share my new party outfits. I have yet to choose which one to wear on New Year's Eve so please do let me know in the comments which you think I should wear! 

Outfit one: Tulle Skirt/Tutu
Thanks to Pinterest a tutu has been on my 'to sew' list for quite some time. I decided to use New Look 6327 to help me with the ratios of tulle to elastic. This is of course a very simple pattern and I would recommend it to anyone starting on their sewing journey. The only tricky bit it managing the huge quantities of tulle in this midi length skirt!


I paired my tutu with a cropped striped jumper from H&M (similar) and a fur gilet from Primark. My shoes are black pumps with pom-poms. 
 

Outfit two: Casual Shortie Shorts 
This outfit is for more for a casual get together than a glitzy party. These pompom shorts are one of my favourite makes, made with Simplicity 1370. I've paired them with the same H&M cropped jumper as before and a sparkly cardigan from Primark. My shoes are black pumps with pom-poms. 

 


Outfit three: brocade skirt
Salme 142 strikes again, this time in a glittery gold brocade from Fabric Land. I love this pattern because I feel I've shown through my blog posts how one super simple little pattern can be made up in different fabrics to give such a wide range of looks. I've paired it with a shirt from Primark and a faux leather jacket from H&M. The shoes are also sparkly, from Topshop (similar) and the bag is covered in feathers from Topshop too. This is my subtle look, ahem. 


Outfit four: sparkly playsuit
I made this playsuit using an out of print pattern Simplicity 2187 but there are lots of similar patterns you can use to achieve the same look, such as McCalls 7115. Another simple pattern which when made in a sparkly fabric instantly looks ready for a party. I love a playsuit as it looks more casual than a dress but still fun and party-ready. The fabric is a jersey from Fabric Land and a friend of mine made it into a cute fitted party dress too. 

Here I aphave styled my playsuit with my amazing Designosaur necklace. 


Outfit five: velvet backless frock
I made this dress last year, inspired/ripped off of a lovely Topshop playsuit. I hacked it from Simplicity 1651 and added lace. I've paired it with a sparkly bag from Primark and shiny patent Mary Janes from Matalan.


POSER!
 

Outfit six: LBD
Because you could do a party outfit post without one, this is my little black dress. I made it by hacking Lisette for Simplicity 1419 and creating lace short sleeves and upper bodice. Sadly this pattern is also out of print which breaks my heart as it fits me perfectly and I hack it constantly to create different looks. To see all my other incarnations of this pattern click here. 


Awkward photo from a terrible angle. Photos should always be from above!


Outfit seven: LBP (little black pinny)
 I blogged a tutorial for this cute pinny a few weeks ago. It's a super simple make and looks cute dressed up or down. Here I have styled it with a striped H&M polo neck, favourite Anthropologie necklace and sparkly Primark bag.
 
 

Outfit eight: sparkly sparkly poser
These photos are part me posing, and part me not wanting to look directly at the camera. I apologise. But anyway, I love this dress. It is a super simple self drafted skirt dress with a velvet sash. I blogged about it last year for more details. A word of warning about  sewing with sequins: buy a stash of spare needles. I paired it with a faux leather jacket from H&M and my favourite Anthropologie necklace. 


 Outfit nine: evening florals
I loved this stretch cotton as soon as I saw it in Fabric Time. This is another (classic unaltered) version of Lisette for Simplicity 1419
Here I've styled it with the shiny patent Mary Janes from Matalan. Can you tell I don't own many pairs of high heels?


Outfit ten: velvet bow 
My last outfit is a dress I made years ago and have only worn a handful of times due to it's fanciness. I sewed little purple shiny beads to the neckline which means you don't really need a necklace with this dress, which is quite handy. I drafted this pattern myself and it actually fits surprisingly well. 
That's all for today, button need your help! Which outfit do you think I should wear to NYE? And what handmade delights are you planning on wearing to bring in the new year? I hope this post gave you an idea or two. 
Thanks for reading and happy new year! X o x o 

Comments