Wardrobe Architect Weeks Five and Six: Colour

Your color story

Today, I want to focus on your feelings about color.

Undoubtedly, there are colors that you feel naturally drawn to. Some colors just make you happy, some feel exciting, others make you feel calm and peaceful.

What we’re going to do today is start collecting those colors. Don’t worry about how to incorporate them into your wardrobe yet. We’re going to get to that next week. For now, just think about what you love and what you wear.

Week 5 and 6 of the wardrobe architect project are some I was dreading, but have actually turned out to be perhaps the most useful so far! I love to sew with colours but until I started to distil my choices I didn't realise that I really favour very warm, autumnal colours and actually these are the most flattering on me with my pale skin and red hair. 

First I gathered lots of images with colours I find beautiful.



 I then looked at the clothes I reach for most often and managed to create a 'palette' of sorts with my favourite colours to wear, which should be the colours I most often sew with too! Of course however I, as many often are, am swayed by the huge selection of colours available when you go to John Lewis or Fabric Land. This process has really helped me to think more logically about what I will actually wear.

My colour palette ended up looking like this:

Of course it is winter, and I am likely to want to repeat this process in the heat of the summer to see if any other, brighter colours are likely to slip in, but actually I think that the colours here could be made brighter or darker depending on the season and are of course open to interpretation, as it is unlikely that you would be able to perfectly colour match a fabric to this tiny palette. It has already helped me in choosing a fabric to sew my winter coat, Vogue 9156, in a beautiful burnt orange/rust brown wool. Here is is with lots of black clothes because black is my favourite winter neutral!

   
That's all for today, thanks for reading and happy, colourful sewing! X o x o

 



 


 

Comments