New Look 6216 Shorts and Simplicity 1693 Blouse- Pattern adaptations

Scorchio! We are in the moist grip of a heat wave here in London, temperatures hitting 32 degrees yesterday. This morning I woke up and decided to distract from my hangover by whipping up some shorts using New Look 6216. 


I chose this pattern because I love the pockets and they add a cute, casual vibe to the shorts. I adapted the trouser pattern by simply shortening the legs. I wanted them to have a pretty 'petal' hem and so cut the outside seam into a curve, like this:


They have an elasticated waist which I have found has two benefits. One, I don't have to insert a zip (woohoo) and two, they are more comfortable in the intense London heat as they sit just below the tummy button and don't squeeze anywhere, with a loose airy fit. I used a soft poly blend in light blue, perfect as it does not crease too easily. 



I adapted Simplicity 1693 for the blouse by adding some triangle cut outs to the front just above the bust line, and two 'bean' shaped cut outs to the back. 
This was actually meant to be an experiment in cheap white cotton but I ended up loving it so much I kept it and have worn it many times to gigs and casually round town since. 


Close up of the back cut outs.


I very much enjoyed wearing this outfit today and experimenting with the basic patterns I already have in my collection, both a money saver and an exercise in creativity.
Hope you like and thanks for reading, give these patterns a try, highly recommended basics.


Comments