Vintage sewing pattern haul and my new challenge!

I am always after my newest sewing challenge. From conquering a fear of invisible zippers to crafting winter coats lined by hand, overcoming nerves starting my own blog and not forgetting my first ever me-made-may I am eternally striving to make my sewing life that little bit more difficult. And so, inkeeping with this theme I have set myself a brand new sewing challenge! (Drumroll please...)

The Fancy Frugality One Vintage Pattern a Month Challenge! 

Yes, having had my fun with modern sewing patterns and all the multisize conveniences that come with them, for my latest endeavour I will be attempting to sew one vintage (60s-80s) pattern a month for, well, as long as I have patterns in my stash and a sustained interest in vintage stitchery! 

I have long admired my mothers collection of vintage patterns as she too was a dressmaking enthusiast in her younger days, and has recently refound her love of stitching frocks (I like to think I may have, in some small way, encouraged this). 

She has kindly lent me two of her, now vintage, patterns to get me started. The first is this lovely Vogue pattern from, we are presuming, the mid eighties. I want to make view B, the short sleeve flounce neck shirt for work in a light cream viscose perhaps. 

The second she has leant me is this adorable Laura Ashley for McCalls pattern from 1985. Way too cute, look at that collar, and the pintucks! Adorable, can't wait but will probably shorten the length for a more modern take. This is probably worth mentioning, I hope to enjoy and explore these awesome vintage treats however I don't want to look like I'm wearing fancy dress and part of my challenge will be to adapt and transform these vintage shapes for a modern look which suits me and my style, and fits in with my current handmade wardrobe.

Lastly, today I went to a car boot sale with my folks and met a lovely man selling vintage sewing supplies, including lots of patterns at £1 a piece. I mean, it would be rude not to! And so here is my haul:
My mum's fave.

Interesting skirt pattern here.

Love these pleated trousers.

I really like the sleeveless shirt dress here

Just could not resist the 70s fit and flare shape of this one

I love the long sleeve dress in red on this one, groovy!

And finally, I had been looking for a good circle skirt pattern for a while, this seems as good as any! Lovely tee pattern with it too.

7 patterns for £7, not to be sniffed at!
So, let the challenge commence! Only question now is, which pattern to try first...?
Thanks for reading and happy sewing! 
X





Comments