The Fancy Frugality Vintage Pattern Challenge! September: McCall's 5470 T-Shirts.

Ok, so I am realllyyyyy easing myself in to this vintage pattern malarky but have made something I have been planning on for a while: basic long sleeve tees. I wanted a striped, Breton style tee and also a plain neutral tee for layering with cute skirts in the winter. I used McCall's 5470 which I picked up for £1 at a car boot sale, completely unused and in perfect condition.

The pattern was very simple to construct, using simply a front and back bodice piece, two sleeves and a very narrow neckline binding, and it was this narrow binding around the neck which I liked most about this pattern as it gave the finished tees a lovely professional look and was very easy to construct. 

Front: I made the sleeves bracelet length for an added feminine touch

Back

Close up of my favourite narrow neckline binding, I like the way I cut the stripes on this
I chose to make my second tee in a lovely simple grey marl jersey, easy to put with anything and layer up in the colder weather

Front, I really like the deep scoop on this patterns neckline

Back, very interesting...
I found that the sizing was rather too large as the pattern was a UK size 12. I increased the seam allowance quite considerable to make the fit snugger but these both still ended up slightly loose fitting, but I don't as I feel very few people look good in skin tight stretch jersey...

I wore the stripe tee today and it was SO comfy, apologies for not blogging this September make actually in September but I made my October pattern up this evening and it jogged my memory to take some bloody photos and get the ball rolling.

So first pattern of my challenge down and I am feeling pretty good, no issues as of yet but then I did set the bar very low indeed to begin with!

Here I am today wearing the stripe tee tucked into a floral needlecord skirt I recently stitched for Autumn Winter, soon to be blogged :)



Thanks for reading and happy sewing! Check back soon for vintage pattern number 2, Style 4056 
Coming soon to a sewing machine near me...

Comments